Hackers Hack Players' Accounts In Call Of Duty: Warzone For Ransom

✨ Megiddo

✨ President ✨
Staff member
Game publisher Activision ignores the issue.

1477fc1ab064c51126f04d6be8ea37b4.png

Hackers en masse hack players' accounts in Call of Duty: Warzone and demand a ransom in bitcoins to regain access to the account, according to Motherboard Vice.

The situation clearly shows how profitable the video game industry can be for attackers. For example, one of the sellers of cheats for Warzone also offers game accounts with rare models of weapons costing hundreds of dollars, Vice notes.

Call of Duty: Warzone is a popular online action game that allows you to fight between 150-200 players. As they progress through the game, players can unlock new weapons or complete certain tasks to get weapon or character skins. Players can also purchase skins with in-game currency, which can be purchased with real money. All progress is saved in the account and if the owner loses access to the account, he essentially loses the character, in-game items and rating.

“I tried to connect to my account, but I couldn't log in with my credentials, so I had to create a new account because I couldn't contact Activision support,” one of the victims complained.

In some cases, attackers took control of an account, changed the linked email address, and demanded a ransom of $ 400 in bitcoin. At the time of writing the news, 1.2 bitcoins (approximately $ 12,000) were stored on the account of the specified bitcoin wallet.

Judging by the reports of some players, attackers hack accounts using previously leaked logins and passwords. As one of the victims admitted, he used the same passwords to access different services.

The victims are particularly displeased with the fact that the publisher of the game Activision ignores the problem and does not provide assistance in restoring access to hacked accounts.

As practice shows, popular games are an excellent source of income for hackers. For example, cybercriminals annuallymake over a million dollars selling hacked accounts on the popular video game Fortnite on underground forums.

Top Bottom